Bring this colorful salad featuring cherries to summer picnics and barbecues. Green lentils cook quickly and stay firm in salads, but you can substitute other types of lentils if you like — just be sure to adjust cooking times and drain the lentils when they are tender but still hold their shape.
Click here to see In Season: Cherries.
- 1 1/2 Cup dried green French lentils
- 5 Cups water
- 2 Tablespoons red-wine vinegar, plus more to taste
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 Teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3/4 Teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Cups fresh cherries (about 1 pound), pitted and halved
- 1 Cup chopped basil