- Dish type
- Pasta salad
- Noodle salad
This is a delicious and flavourful salad that makes a delicious summertime lunch or light supper. Udon noodles can be purchased at most larger supermarkets.
66 people made this
- 225g Udon noodles
- 8 tablespoons unsalted crunchy peanut butter
- 120ml milk
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red chilli flakes
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 200g fresh bean sprouts
- 2 carrots, grated
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 cos (romaine) lettuce
- 150g chopped peanuts
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:25min
- In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the udon noodles for about five minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse the noodles under cold running water and let cool.
- Whisk the peanut butter, milk, ginger, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and red chilli flakes in a small bowl until well blended.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the cooked noodles, cucumber, sprouts, carrot, spring onions and mint. Whisk the peanut butter dressing and pour it over the salad. Stir until well coated and serve chilled on a bed of crunchy cos leaves. Garnish with the chopped peanuts.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(65)
Reviews in English (52)
FANTASTIC!!! Excellent for a warm summer night when you want to cool down. I was skeptical about mixing milk directly with vinegar in the dressing because I thought the milk would curdle, so I combined all the dressing ingredients *except* the milk, stirred it well, then added the milk. The dressing tasted just like what I've had at good Thai restaurants!!! I made one addition to the noodle mixture: fresh cilantro. The results were so fresh and yummy! I'm glad the recipe made a lot of noodle salad because I'm looking forward to having it for lunch tomorrow.-16 Jul 2005
I substituted linguine for the udon noodles, and it turned out well. I feel the texture of the bean sprouts detracted from the salad, so next time I'll leave those out. Otherwise, a very good, flavorful salad.-10 Jun 2001
I was a little disappointed. I would completely change all the veggies, no cucumbers, and use extremely thin noodles. Using speghetti just is too heavy. The dressing isn't bad, but it lacks something. I will try to modify this to get it to work. I will let you know when I figure out the missing ingredients.-14 Mar 2002